Friday, May 17, 2013

Obsession


I do not know how I this task sustain− 
Erecting yet another house of cards
That as the others soon will like be lain
Flat. Oh, how pained, my agonies, in pain!

Time and again I traipse these endless yards
But since all paths converge in one inane,
Why is it she my balmy peace bombards?

And though I can no longer steer like this,
My love, with brine and blight, I will not dis.

I'm no more than a ship sunk on the shore.


------------

This is a translation of a poem I wrote in Portuguese back in 2009. The original was written in free verse, as I then didn't know the first thing about meter.


Não sei por que a esta tarefa me entrego
suando pra erguer mais um castelo de cartas
que, como os outros, há de cair tão logo
minhas dores, de tantas dores, estão fartas.

Sigo sempre esta senda, mas jamais chego
se todas os caminhos terminam no nada
por que tanto perturbas meu doce sossego? 

apesar de viver assim não poder mais
se queres saber de meu amor não cedo 

não sou mais que um navio parado no cais.  

No comments: